Mar 8, 2012

Orthocracy of Kaddish Regional Map

Click for Big Version
I realised I screwed up with the big map yesterday when I started to calculate how big the Orthocracy was and it turned out to be the size of Peru or Angola. So I'm starting back at first principles and building up from regional maps using the Welsh Piper's templates and Hexographer. This one took less than an hour to make, especially now that I have the big map for layout (if not sizing).

As you can see, the Orthocracy is basically one city and some exurbs (the Exile, Reservoir, and Muster wards of the so-called "Outer City"), with the general pattern of settlement following the river valleys. The villages mainly serve as common markets for an otherwise dispersed settler population.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I'm going through the same process myself - I mapped out an entire campaign setting from the 20-mile-per-hex scale and realised afterwards what I'd created was considerably bigger than modern India. I'm now starting from the ground up at the 1-mile level.

    Just goes to show, there's a lot of wisdom in tradition: starting off with a town, some other settlements nearby, some adventuring locales, a big dungeon, and growing it from there is perhaps the most sensible approach.

    ReplyDelete